when i finally arrived at my parents’ house in michigan today after almost eight hours in the car, my mom hugged me before gesturing to some asparagus & sweet potatoes. “i have to shower,” she said, “can you do these?” i can’t say i was surprised. whenever i am home for extended periods of time, my mom will look at me almost daily & ask, “what are we making for dinner tonight?” by “we,” she of course means me.
what more could i ask for? i get to grocery shop on my parents’ dime, try out as many recipes as i want & with an essentially limitless amount of people to feed, almost no food ever goes to waste. it’s a pretty good deal.
-1 lb. asparagus, chopped into 2.5-inch slices
-2 tbsp. grey poupon
-2 tbsp. white wine
-2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
-salt & pepper to taste
1) heat 1 tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet.
2) add asparagus pieces & season with salt & pepper to taste.
3) cook until tender, about ten minutes.
4) meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl to make a mustard sauce.
5) transfer asparagus to serving dish & add sauce, mixing well. enjoy!