i made this vegetarian breakfast casserole for my family on christmas morning to enjoy alongside their freshly baked morning buns. like morning buns, this casserole can be prepared ahead of time & popped into the oven half an hour before mealtime. this was delicious & could be made even healthier by using egg whites instead of whole eggs. this type of dish is great for feeding a large group & is easily customizable to your own tastes. you can use different cheeses, meats, or vegetables, throwing almost anything into the mix to tailor the dish to your liking. this recipe makes 12 servings.
-3 cups of bread, cubed (i used a pepper & cheese bread, which gave the dish flavor, but any kind will do), or enough to line the bottom of a 10 x 15 x 2 casserole dish
-16 eggs, beaten
-2 cups sharp cheddar, shredded
-2 cups feta, cubed or crumbled
-2.5 cups milk
-1 medium red onion, chopped
-2 green bell peppers, chopped
-2 cups spinach leaves
-2 tbsp butter
1) preheat oven to 400 degrees (if eating right away) & grease a 10 x 15 x 2 inch casserole dish.
2) melt butter over medium high heat & add onions & peppers. saute until tender, stirring occasionally (about 15 minutes). meanwhile:
3) spread bread evenly in the bottom of the greased casserole dish. evenly layer both cheese on top of the bread.
4) whisk together eggs, milk & spinach.
5) add sauteed vegetables to this mixture & pour into casserole dish.
6) at this point, refrigerate the uncooked casserole for up to 24 hours if you’re not eating it immediately, otherwise, put it in the oven & cook for 35 minutes or until set. enjoy!