today was a lonely day at my parents’. all my siblings have gone back to school, leaving me to fend for myself as somewhat of an only child here at home. although being the sole recipient of my mother’s attention can be difficult sometimes, so can cooking for eight people with drastically different palates. now that there are only three of us, it’s much easier to decide what to make for dinner. you win some, you lose some, i guess.
after finding six zucchini in the fridge this morning, my mom & i decided to have a zucchini-themed dinner. we made zucchini fritters & zucchini au gratin, with a caprese salad on a bed of spinach. a little heavy on the veg, but we liked it. the zucchini au gratin was rich & comforting but light at the same time. although it looks super creamy, the main ingredient is skim milk. we loved it so much that we each had a few servings & by the time we had our fill, the dish was gone.
-4 medium zucchini, trimmed & sliced thinly
-2 tbsp flour
-2 tbsp butter
-2 1/2 cups skim milk
-4 oz. gruyere, shredded
-white pepper & salt to taste
1) place sliced zucchini in a 9×12 casserole dish & bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
2) meanwhile, melt butter in large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
3) when butter is melted, stir in flour to create a roux. as soon as mixture turns light brown, add milk.
4) add salt & white pepper to taste. bring mixture to a simmer until sauce thickens & reduces slightly.
5) remove zucchini from oven without turning oven off. sprinkle the gruyere over the zucchini before adding white sauce. return to oven for 15 more minutes. enjoy!
*makes 8 servings & takes about 40 minutes to prepare.