after going out for dinner with my parents last night, eating entirely too well & being full up until 3 p.m. today, i decided to err on the light side for dinner. i came across this recipe for this tunisian garlic chickpea soup in perfect mediterranean & decided to give it a go for tonight. the following recipe is adapted from perfect mediterranean.
-6 tbsp olive oil
-12 cloves garlic, finely chopped
-8 cups water
-2 tsp cumin
-2 tsp coriander
-2 tsp paprika
-2 cups chickpeas that have been soaked in water for a couple of hours, then drained
-4 medium carrots, finely chopped
-6 stalks celery, finely chopped
-2 medium white onions, finely chopped
-the juice of two lemons
-salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
1) heat half the olive oil in a large pot. saute garlic on low heat, stirring frequently for about 2 minutes.
2) add the water, cumin, coriander & paprika. bring mixture to a boil then simmer for 2.5 hours.
3) meanwhile, heat the rest of the oil in a large sauce pan over medium-low heat. add carrots, celery & onions & cook for 20 minutes.
4) after 20 minutes, add veggie mixture to liquid mixture & continue to simmer until 2.5 hours are up.
5) just before serving add lemon juice, salt & pepper to taste.
*serves about 4.