there are three amazing things about these potatoes:
1) they are potatoes.
2) they are crispy on the outside.
3) they are creamy on the inside.
they also involve lemon, garlic & rosemary & are pretty simple to make.
-6 lbs baby red potatoes
-1/2 cup water
-1/2 cup olive oil
-juice of one lemon
-1 tbsp crushed garlic (about 3 cloves garlic)
– 1/4 cup of fresh chopped rosemary
-salt & pepper to taste
-6 additional sprigs of rosemary (optional)
1) preheat oven to 500 degrees. meanwhile, scrub the potatoes & divide them between two baking sheets.
2) pour 1/4 cup of water onto each baking sheet, covering the baking sheets tightly with foil. place the baking sheets into the oven & steam the potatoes for 25 minutes.
3) while potatoes are steaming, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, rosemary, salt & pepper.
4) when potatoes are done steaming (leave oven on), smash** them using a third baking sheet before drizzling them with the oil mixture. make sure potatoes are coated well.
5) place sprigs of rosemary on potatoes & bake them for 30 more minutes at 500 degrees (15 minutes on the top rack & 15 minutes on the bottom rack).
*makes 12 servings, but if your family is arab, it only makes 6.
**good thing it was snowing, because what i did to smash these potatoes is sandwich the potatoes between two baking sheets before sitting on the top baking sheet pan & sledding down the hill in the back of my house. this was probably more effort than needed, but it did the trick.