if you haven’t noticed, i’m trying to be more health-conscious lately. it’s probably not your fault if you haven’t noticed, because i’m not exactly doing a great job with it (sweet potatoes in cream, anyone?). anyway, this recipe was an exercise in healthy eating that actually went as planned. it was fresh, flavorful, easy & i all but licked my plate clean. the dark leafy greens, asparagus & mushrooms are vitamin powerhouses while the smoked salmon provides a healthy dose of omega-3 fatty acids, which are good for your heart.
-12 oz. asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
-10 oz. button mushrooms, halved & stemmed (i quartered the larger ones)
-2 tbsp dijon
-2 tbsp olive oil
-2 tbsp good balsamic vinegar
-5 oz dark leafy greens (about 4 cups) – i used a baby spinach/arugula mix from trader joe’s
-4 oz smoked salmon
-2 scallions (the green part of green onions), thinly sliced
1) preheat oven to 425 degrees & arrange asparagus & mushrooms in a 9×13 baking dish.
2) combine the dijon, olive oil & balsamic in a small bowl or cup & pour over the veggies, making sure they are coated with dressing. roast for 10 minutes.
3) meanwhile, divide the greens among four lunch or dinner plates. top each plate with an ounce of salmon & half a scallion, thinly sliced.
4) add a cup of the roasted vegetables to each plate.
5) garnish with half a lemon to be squeezed onto the salad just before eating. enjoy!
*makes 4 servings & takes 15-20 minutes to prepare.