last friday’s girls’ night in would’ve been utterly incomplete without a decadent chocolate cake to go along with our red wine & movie of choice (up in the air, which i loved). since this is one of my favorite chocolate cake recipes, it only made sense to use it as a base when coming up with a vegan alternative so that my temporarily vegan sister could partake in the indulgence.
-6 tbsp canola oil
-3/4 cup dark brown sugar (packed)
-1/4 cup regular white granulated sugar
-1/4 cup applesauce
-3/4 cup red wine (i use whatever i have on hand)
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1 cup + 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
-1/2 cup dutch cocoa powder
-1/8 tsp baking soda
-1/2 tsp baking powder
-1/4 tsp salt
-powdered sugar for garnish (optional)
1) preheat oven to 325 degrees. grease & flour the bottom & sides of a 9-inch round pan.
2) in a large mixing bowl, whisk together wet ingredients (oil, sugars, applesauce, wine & vanilla).
3) mix together the remaining dry ingredients right on top of the wet ingredients.
4) mix wet & dry ingredients until just combined.
5) pour batter into prepared pan & bake for 25-30 minutes or until a fork or toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
6) let cake cool & dust with powdered sugar for garnish, if desired.
*makes 8 servings.