-1 large onion, finely chopped
-2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
-12 black olives, pitted & roughly chopped (i used kalamata, yum)
-2 tbsp olive oil, divided
-2 tbsp chopped oregano (i used dried)
-3 tbsp chopped parsley
-1 tbsp chopped mint
-1 1/2 tbsp chopped capers (yeah, definitely didn’t chop the capers. they’re already small enough, in my opnion)
-crumbled parmesan or other cheese of choice to garnish (optional)
-salt & pepper, to taste
1) preheat oven to 325 degrees. trim a little less than half an inch of the tops of the tomatoes. remove the seeds & flesh, leaving a clean shell. lightly salt the insides of the tomatoes & turn them upside down in a colander to drain while you move onto the next step.
2) heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. add onions & olives, cooking until onions are tender (a little under 10 minutes). when they are starting to get tender, add in the garlic.
3) remove the onion/olive/garlic mixture from heat & add in the remaining ingredients except for the remaining tbsp of olive oil & the cheese.
4) pat the insides of the tomatoes dry with a clean towel & place them into an ovenproof dish. spoon the stuffing into each shell generously, patting the stuffing down to make room for more, if necessary.
5) drizzle the stuffed tomatoes with the remaining olive oil & bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes until tomatoes are tender.
6) remove from oven, sprinkle with parmesan & serve.
*this recipe makes 4 servings & is adapted from the book plenty by yotam ottolenghi.