not gonna lie, i’ve been having a tough time lately, but i think it’s coming to an end finally. this past week was by far the roughest of my entire semester, packed with super late nights & early mornings (not the fun kind either). when i start to dread getting out of bed each day, i know it’s time to make a batch of muffins to help make waking up a little more enjoyable. this week’s edition: whole wheat & vegan lemon poppy seed muffins with strawberries in the middle. have you noticed my pattern of healthifying desserts so i don’t feel as guilty about eating them?
-2 cups whole wheat flour (if you’re not a whole wheat kind of person, you can always use a different type of flour)
-1 cup sugar
-2 tsp baking powder
-1/4 tsp salt
-4 tbsp poppy seeds
-zest from 1 lemon
-2 tbsp lemon juice
-1/2 cup almond milk
-1/2 cup vegetable oil
-1/4 cup apple sauce
-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
-12 small- to medium-sized strawberries, fresh or frozen
1) preheat oven to 375 degrees & grease a muffin pan.
2) in a large bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, poppy seeds, lemon zest) with a fork or wooden spoon.
3) combine wet ingredients (lemon juice, almond milk, veggie oil, applesauce, vanilla extract) right on top of dry ones.
4) combine wet & dry ingredients with a fork or wooden spoon until just combined.
5) distribute batter evenly among cups in the muffin pan (each one will be almost full)
6) press a strawberry into the middle of each batter-filled cup.
7) bake for 20 minutes or until a fork stuck into the side (because there’s a strawberry in the middle) comes out clean.
*this recipe was adapted from here & makes 12 muffins.