i know it’s not quite summer yet, but i was hit hard this week by a craving for chicken salad. it’s the quintessential summer dish–light, yet filling, with the delectable crunch of green onions & celery. i also like the versatility of the chicken salad. i usually add it to a plate of greens for an instant salad, pile it on an english muffin or into a pita pocket for a quick sandwich, or eat it straight out of the container (i won’t admit to my favorite of these serving suggestions, but i’m sure you can guess). i also have a feeling that tofu could easily be substituted for the chicken in this recipe, although i’ve never tried it. let me know if you do!
-1.5-2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
-2 stalks celery, finely chopped
-2 green onions, trimmed & chopped
-1/4 cup fresh tarragon, chopped
-1/2 cup mayo
-1/2 cup greek yogurt
-1 tsp dried parsley
-1 tsp mustard powder
-1/4 tsp red chile pepper flakes
-2 tbsp lemon juice
-salt & pepper to taste
1) poach chicken by submerging chicken breasts in a large pot of water. bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 35-45 minutes (until chicken is cooked).
2) meanwhile, chop your vegetables if you haven’t already. combine all ingredients except for chicken, salt & pepper in a large bowl.
3) when chicken is finished cooking, remove from water with tongs & dice into bite-sized pieces.
4) add diced chicken to the large bowl & combine with the rest of the ingredients.
5) season with salt & pepper to taste.
*serve chilled & enjoy :)