after loving & leaving yoga journal’s wonderful blueberry quinoa muffins, i had been looking for a way to sneak this healthful grain-like, protein-packed seed back into a muffin recipe. i wanted this recipe to involve rhubarb & strawberries, the sweethearts of spring. after attempting three batches of these muffins in a matter of a week (i shared, don’t worry), i was finally able to figure out a great recipe that married rhubarb, strawberries & quinoa. although generally i’m not a fan of polygamy, i’m happy to report it worked out well in this scenario.
-1/2 cup whole wheat flour
-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
-1 1/2 tsp baking powder
-1/4 tsp baking soda
-1/4 tsp salt
-1/4 cup applesauce or 1 egg
-1/4 cup brown sugar (either kind works)
-3 tbsp granulated sugar
-5 tbsp veggie oil
-3/4 cup greek yogurt
-1/2 cup cooked quinoa (if you cook 1/4 cup of dry quinoa, you’ll have more than enough)
-1 cup chopped rhubarb
-1 cup finely chopped strawberries
1) preheat oven to 375 degrees & grease a muffin tin. meanwhile, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda & salt in a large mixing bowl.
2) combine sugars, applesauce (or egg), oil & greek yogurt in another large bowl or right on top of the dry ingredients in the first bowl.
3) mix together the wet & dry ingredients until just combined.
4) stir in cooked quinoa.
5) fold rhubarb & strawberries into the batter.
6) bake for 20-25 minutes until muffin tops start browning & a fork or toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
*this recipe makes 12 muffins & was created using smitten kitchen’s rhubarb streusel muffins as a base recipe.