to not share what i made for dinner with you last night would just be criminal. it was one of the best dinners i’ve made in awhile–brown rice tossed in a tahini miso dressing with tangy undertones of lemon & ginger topped with steamed kale, avocado & tofu (marinated & pan-fried in a soy-ginger-garlic sauce). while exceptionally satisfactory to the taste buds, this meal is also full of “super foods,” nutritionally & texturally diverse, & more than pleasing to the flavor-craving palate. it also does well when doused with what i consider to be a staple of any asian-inspired dish.
-1 cup uncooked brown rice
-1/4 cup tahini
-1 tbsp light miso
-2 tsp lemon juice
-2 tsp grated ginger
-1/4 cup warm water
-1/2 bunch of kale (8 oz.), chopped into bite-sized ribbons & steamed*
-1 avocado, sliced
-1 package extra firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch slices
-1/2 cup “soyaki” marinade from trader joe’s or make your own
-sesame seeds & sriracha (optional)
1) marinate tofu in soyaki marinade or homemade sherry/honey/soy marinade for at least 20 minutes & up to 24 hours.
2) cook rice according to package instructions.
3) meanwhile, whisk together tahini, miso, lemon juice, ginger & water to create the dressing.
4) if rice is still cooking, pan-fry marinated tofu until golden brown on each side over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan. halfway through cooking, add marinade to the pan. if rice is done skip to the next step then return to this step before continuing on to step #6.
5) fluff cooked rice with a fork & stir in dressing.
6) divide rice onto four bowls or plates. top with equal parts kale, avocado & tofu.
7) sprinkle each plate with sesame seeds, douse with sriracha & let your puppy lick your plate clean (all optional).
*to steam kale, fill a medium or large saucepan halfway with water & warm over medium heat. add kale, cover & steam for 5 minutes. remove cover, stir & steam for five more minutes. kale should be bright green, a little tender, but still a little crisp.
**makes 4 servings & takes about 30 minutes, not counting time to cook rice (1 hour, 10 minutes with rice cooking added).
***adapted from here